Monday, February 10, 2014

You have no problems

Whaaaat's up?

Just started my new job. For those who don't know (I'm pretty sure that's everyone) I work as a health care assistant. Essentially, I administer care for those who need it most; elderly, physically and intellectually disabled people. This can range from helping an old man to the bathroom and doing light housework, to personal cares, feeding, dressing, giving medication, etc. Needless to say it's not your typical job, and many people are surprised to learn that I'm not working in retail or at a fast food joint, which is the norm for someone of my age group.

To be in this kinda profession for a year and a bit, you see all kinds of things. I won't list these things because I'm likely to put you off meals somehow.

And no, I am not describing my problems.

I met a new client today, and I can't give many details at the risk of being unprofessional and unethical. He is in his mid teens, and severely brain damaged. He's only been that way for 4 years, and the cause of his current state is horrific. Use your imagination. He cannot speak, his only range of movement is his head side to side, blinking and opening of the mouth. He cannot swallow. You get the picture.

To be around someone like that, it almost put me in tears. If it had I would not have been able to carry on working with him, you have to put personal emotional crap aside to do your job properly. I am now rather good at turning off that switch, so to speak. But anyway, it gets you thinking, and all that stress related crap that had been floating around in my brain for the last couple of weeks suddenly seemed so insignificant, and it honestly made me feel sick to the stomach.
   Most people float through life not knowing (and sometimes not caring) about our most vulnerable. You meet a person who is [vulnerable] and trust me, nothing will matter anymore.

So before you go thinking 'my life is crap' or 'gah so stressed out because of (enter trivial reason here)' slap yourself and say 'I have no problems'

I'm not sure if I'm even getting the point across, I am just venting essentially. And by the by, I doubt there is a teenage boy more loved by his family in this world. It's incredible, believe me.

TTFN, hope I got the gears working.

No comments:

Post a Comment