Friday, August 30, 2013

A cool website and tattoo after care

Now to a less serious note!

I found this really cool website last year, through an online girls magazine (which unfortunately was shut down! It also was a cool site, and if it was still open I would totally put the link in this blog). This site is called stringsof.me, a New Zealand based site I'm pretty sure.
   So it's sort of an online diary, with a twist. Each day they ask you a different question; from serious ones such as 'The biggest personal injustice I have ever experienced is...' to less serious ones that have to do zombie apocalypses and wars between fruit and vegetables. Then they ask you the same question, on the same day, each year, so you can see how your answers,opinions, and maybe yourself have changed.  You also have the option to draw a little picture that matches with your answer.
  There's no sharing your answers with Facebook or Twitter, but you can share via email or with a whimsical rabbit. It's such a quirky little website, that's why I love it.
  If you like, you can even share stories or opinions :)

I hear you yell: WHERE IS THE LINK TO THIS AWESOME SITE????
It's right here, my friends

To the next subject: Tattoo aftercare

I got my first tattoo April this year; a dolphin and waves on my left shoulder blade. It's in full colour, coming up 6 months and the colour hasn't leached one little bit: So some tips:

  • Some tattooists will wrap your new tattoo in plastic wrap. This is thought to stop bacteria breeding, but unfortunately will also stop oxygen getting through. Your tat is an open wound, it has to breathe. Personally, I removed the plastic wrap 3-4 hours afterwards. No problems.
  • I bathed my tat twice a day with warm water and fragrance free soap that had no additives. It's worth spending the extra money to get an organic brand. You don't need an antibacterial soap either. I used my hand to rub my tat in slow, gentle circles - make sure your hands are clean as you can possibly get them. Rinse gently. To dry, use a clean hand towel that you've kept aside for use only on your tattoo. Or even better, let it air dry
  • Moisturise your tattoo with fragrance free, colour free moisturiser. I used Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturising Lotion, with colloidal oatmeal. It worked a charm, pretty sure that's why the colour in mine turned out so nicely.
  • At 3-4 days, your tattoo will start peeling. This is part of the process, don't freak out! Some people also experience scabbing, this is also part of the process. 
  • I carried on with washing and moisturising twice daily for two weeks. Even now I still moisturise my tat occasionally. 
And a note on pain: outlining wasn't bad, its the shading and bits of the bone that hurt the most. Managed to spit out a few swear words at that point haha. It feels like the pain of a mild bee sting, only constant.

So, I hope I've been of some use to the world wide web!

TTFN
M.F.S

No comments:

Post a Comment